In 1823 in Greensboro, Alabama, the State Baptist Convention met and appointed eight home missionaries to do work in different parts of the state. Two were sent south to organize churches in Baldwin County. Alexander Travis and Dempsey Winbourne were elected as the missionaries that were sent to Baldwin County to organize churches.
In 1846 Elder Thomas Nelson was ordained to the full work of gospel ministry in South Baldwin County. He was one of the first resident missionary Baptist preachers residing and preaching here.
The Old Baptist Mission was organized in 1855 with eight members which began our church. It was a simple pine pole shanty across the present intracoastal canal.
Later the church was moved to the bayou located on the Steiner estate close to Mobile and Bon Secour Bay. Rev. Hans Peter Hanson was pastor; he was ordained a Baptist minister in 1875.
About 1897 a wind storm destroyed the old pine flat, or Baptist Mission that had served as a church and school. A new church was built by the bayou near a big magnolia tree. This was the first church here built of plained lumber, and it was painted white inside and out—a very pretty church. When Bro. Hanson resigned, Bro. J.D. Wilks became pastor and church services were held here until the 1906 storm when the church and all records and books were destroyed.
Another church was built nearer to where the cemetery is now. The storm of 1916 demolished it and some of the material it was built from was used to remodel the little school nearby. We know some of the windows were used in this little school house which could accommodate about eighty people and held classes for grades one through eight. Church was held in the school until the next church was built, now existing as part of the present building (1975). This building was constructed in 1923 and is presently being used as part of the educational building (1975). The auditorium was completed in 1955 with George A. Poates as pastor.
In 1975 an additional Education Building was constructed and completed the same year by members of the church.
In June of 1977 a Recreation Building was built by church members. Central heating and air conditioning were installed in the main auditorium the same year.
In 1979 a metal storage building was purchased, and the church voted to extend the cemetery for use when necessary. A storm named Frederick came through September 12 and left us with a few less trees and a need for a new roof.
On September 18, 1980 we lost our last charter member, Cecelia M. Steiner. Cecelia died at the age of 92.
A new roof was put on the entire church building the year of 1980. The church building was bricked the same year. Beautiful book shelves and cabinets were custom made for our library—a beautiful room. Inside shutters were made for the main auditorium windows.
In January of 1980 the church purchased a small piece of property from Robert Mind. The property was in front of the church auditorium by the road to the south of the church auditorium. A lighted sign was also purchased.
On January 30, 2000, Oyster Bay Baptist Church held its first service in the current sanctuary.
We are affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention and a part of the Baldwin Baptist Association.